Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening at 6pm, I went out to my hive and collected 15 bees that were on the ground, in front of the hive, and not moving. Planned to pin them to the comb in my display for a garden show this weekend. Good think I waited until 7pm to start the pinning...11 of the 15 are alive and buzzing. I guess they now get to go to the show and crawl around on the combs. I remembered a post just recently where they talked about bees aren't dead until they are "warm and dead". I'd have to agree :rolleyes: (by the way, one of the bees was a drone that had been out and about today. Temps were only in the upper 40's)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I saw the same in front of my new hive today. We had freezing rain yesterday and today they were out flying. Checked them around 4pm and saw quite a few on the ground and side of the hive. They wouldn't move till I poked them, and then only very slowly.
Is it normal for them to come out when it's too cold? Temps got to about 48 today. Seems like they would stay in cluster.

·
Registered
685 Posts
This evening at 6pm, I went out to my hive and collected 15 bees that were on the ground, in front of the hive, and not moving. Planned to pin them to the comb in my display for a garden show this weekend. Good think I waited until 7pm to start the pinning...11 of the 15 are alive and buzzing. I guess they now get to go to the show and crawl around on the combs. I remembered a post just recently where they talked about bees aren't dead until they are "warm and dead". I'd have to agree :rolleyes: (by the way, one of the bees was a drone that had been out and about today. Temps were only in the upper 40's)
Yup, putting any insect into the fridge is actually a good way to "sedate" them. It doesn't kill them (over a relatively short period of time, anyway), but stops them from moving until they warm back up.

If you ever order ladybugs as aphid control, you'll likely get them delivered by a refrigerated truck. If not, you stick them in the fridge for about an hour before you open the container so they don't all immediately fly up into your face.

·
Registered
89 Posts
CaJunBee & Gilligan, You folks haven't had a winter like this in a long time. I left Zachary (born and raised) in1985. Winter's of 84 and 85 had some pretty ugly weather. We don't see much, if any freezing rain up here, but it get's pretty cool!!! memtb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts