Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my package of bees on Friday. I installed the bees in the hive and placed the queen in its cage within two frames. Today, I went to check that she was out of her cage and laying eggs which is was. The problem arose when I went to get the queen cage from between the frames. It fell to the and I had to stick my hand in the hive to retrieve it. While doing that I damaged some drawn comb. The bees have not settled down since my accident. They keep coming in and out and now I just checked and there are a lot of them flying in circles above the hive. Do you think that they are planning on absconding? Thanks.

·
Registered
811 Posts
The only damage you could have done with what you did was kill the queen. That's another lesson we can talk about, but as far as them not settling down, my thinking is that you are seeing orienting flights.

Be calm and don't panic. Check back in a few days and see if there are eggs. Then you know the queen is well and what concerns you is normal bee behavior.

·
Registered
330 Posts
When I got my first package about two weeks ago for the first day or two there were tons of them flying about taking orientation flights. About the third day there was a lot less flying about.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Might look at the next one. Some people will use a small wire attached to the QC to
give you a handle on the cage. Did you have gloves on or Nitrile gloves?

·
Registered
330 Posts
To add to what lemmje said: A bee egg doesn't hatch into a larva until there days I believe. So check once it's been three days since you may have killed the queen and if theres no eggs i'd order another queen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might look at the next one. Some people will use a small wire attached to the QC to
give you a handle on the cage. Did you have gloves on or Nitrile gloves?
I had leather gloves on but a stinger was still able to penetrate the leather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts