Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Responsible thing to do - to sting or not to sting?

1935 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  allincuddy
Hi folks,

Now a newly minted beek, I have a lingering question. Some members of my family have not been stung by a bee before. I have been told there is a potential for bee allergy in the gene pool, but nothing confirmed.

How do I go about checking? Should I attempt to invoke a sting on a poor victim? Are there alternatives? As you would imagine, I don't have many volunteers lining up for that experience.

I rather find out in a controlled fashion (early) rather than in a situation where people are rushing to hospitals.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Go to an allergist.
They will do a scratch test for allergy.
My doctor used 3 serial dilutions of bee and 3 of wasp venom. ( plus some controls).
The reaction is measured by red swelling forming around the scratch after a set (short) period.

Bee and Wasp venom is not necessarily cross reactive in allergic cases, and many "bee" allergies are actually yellow jacket sensitivity (per the doctor's assistant).
I asked my doctor for a epipen scrip. I keep one at all times, just in case. Many people don't know they are allergic. And sometimes those who weren't, develop the allergy. BTW, it is not a simple "allergic" reaction you are concerned with, I am sure you know. Most everyone will itch, swell, turn red. It is the anaphylactic reaction you are concerned with. Typically, that is quickly indicated by a reaction to the sting in an area NOT where the sting was. So, if you were stung on the hand and you get a rash on your arm . . . that's a big clue.
Hi folks, I have been told there is a potential for bee allergy in the gene pool, but nothing confirmed.
Who told you that? A family member? Chances are, unless someone in your family suffered anaphalactic shock from a honeybee sting, no one in your family is any more likely to be allergic to bee stings than anyone else. Chances are that there is a misunderstanding about allergies and genetics and how both work.

Let Nature take its' course. That's what I would do. I wouldn't get the family together and sting each individual.
Keep a good supply of Benadryl close. If someone has a BAD allergic reaction then start with that on the way to hospital.
One good thing about getting learn it not really that bad and it doesnt last very long either. For most people.
That's what I would do. I wouldn't get the family together and sting each individual.
Killjoy.That sounds like the perfect entertainment for the next family reunion.
another thing that i have read is that if you get stung the bee venom on your skin can cause a reaction to the person allergic.also the dried bee venom on your bee suit so i have read it better for the people in your house hold to get stung every one and a while
Thank you kindly for your feedback.

Response to a question posted:

A non-immediate family member told me that they had a severe bee allergy and needed to carry an epi-pen. Not knowing if it was genetic, I was concerned. With a couple small children, I did not want to be in a compromising position and find out the hard way.

  1. Seek an allergist to have the tests done. Brilliant! I did not know that was a possibility. Sure beats having a family stinging party.
  2. Look to get an epi-pen for around the house. Guests who may not know could need it.
  3. Keep Benedryl around. Pragmatic - I like it.

I appreciate you all taking the time to weigh in on this!
See less See more
if you have kids then get the Epi Jr too. talk to their doctor about how to recognize a major reaction so you don't give them Epi for something harmless.
Epi is also not the end of it.. if you give epi they need to see a dr soon after too for follow up

benedryl liquid works faster than tablets.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.