Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. I lost my queen in one colony in September, so I combined with another hive. Both colonies were big an healthy. After the combine was successful, I removed the third box from the hive to overwinter in two deeps. They have 90lbs of honey to overwinter with, but now I'm wondering if I should have left that third box of resources on for them? Just because its now a huge population. I still have all the frames in the deep freezer. Should I throw the 3rd box on, or will the 90lbs get them through? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Hard to say if 90# will get them through or not. Where are you located? My bees will get by on around 40-50# here in Richmond, but the folks in Montana like around 120# to feel safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to say if 90# will get them through or not. Where are you located? My bees will get by on around 40-50# here in Richmond, but the folks in Montana like around 120# to feel safe.
I live in north west Michigan, they suggest 90 to 120lbs to get them through, but this is bigger then an average colony.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
No bees ever starved from having too much feed.

Reactions: johng

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,407 Posts
Unless there is an urgent use for the honey , I would think a "combine" would add the bees and the resources.
So why not just add it to the top for reserves.

GG

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I would stick it back on shouldn't hurt anything. With that much honey they should brood up pretty good once it warms up and you will have plenty of bees for an early split.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts