Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 hives didnt make it through the winter.

I have just a smidge of pollen left in one deep frame and about 10 frames of capped honey between the 2 hives left (med frames). And well... several boxes of drawn comb.

What would you start the packages on?

would you give them the entire deep pluss a med with the 5 frames of honey stacked in the middle?

The classic answer to "when do i give them more space" was when they have drawn and filled 8 or so of the frames of the current box (10 frame boxes) but as they dont have to draw any comb they can get right to laying and packing pollen etc.

Ive also heard that experienced beeks never pass up the chance to have a new package draw new comb as they are in a "comb drawing mood"

Should i give a couple frames of drawn comb in the deep and the rest in new foundation? (I could stand to swap out some brood comb as im starting to push 5 years on some)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I did a post last year about installing package hives where I used drawn out comb.
http://sidelinebeekeeping.com/2013/04/17/installing-package-hives/

Even though you are using drawn out comb you still want to start with one box and add more boxes as the hive grows. You will notice that the hive will grow at a faster pace with the drawn out comb as long as they have plenty of nectar or sugar syrup. I usually add the second box three to four weeks after installing the package.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yeah, you still need enough bees to thermoregulate the hive, too much space inside and too few bees means they can't cool it properly in the heat. You should be able to just open the lid and look in to see how much comb they're using without pulling any of it out (which is less useful when you're filling them with drawn comb to start with), just look down and see how many frames you can see bees between. When the whole hive looks like its full of bees, add another box.

Pretty much the same thing as seeing when they've drawn out most of the frames, only instead of drawing them out you're just looking to see if they have enough bees to cover most of the frames.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ive also heard that experienced beeks never pass up the chance to have a new package draw new comb as they are in a "comb drawing mood"
It depends on what you want. More drawn comb or a honey crop? Usually if you start packages on foundation you wont get much of a honey crop the first year but if you already have drawn comb you could usually expect to get a honey crop from a first year package.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I'd only put them in one box and stock that box with all the resources you can. Honey, pollen, drawn comb. Add the rest of the resources with the next box... if you have a surplus of anything, then make sure the box you put them in has all three (honey, pollen and drawn comb) if you have it available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts