Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for people in the south that have kept and routinely split resource hives. I know they're used in the north a lot to over winter nucs, but I haven't been able to find any videos of people utilizing them in the south. What are your experiences and what are some of your maintenance practices in growing/maintaining your colonies utilizing these.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,275 Posts
The Michael Palmer style resource hives are not needed in the South due to our much milder winters. In TN, you should have no problem overwintering in a single deep 5 frame nuc. For comb and bee production, a five over five setup works well. I just hived a resource nuc that was 3 mediums over a deep. In two months the bees drew out or repaired all the frames and had it well stocked with nectar and pollen. They are now in a medium over deep 10 frame with the extra medium frames down in the deep for now. Will be pulling the five deep frames soon for a split.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’m not sure if it is considered a resource hive, but I have a single 10-frame deep that is partitioned off into three 3-frame hives with a separate side entrance for each hive. When I have extra swarm cells in the spring, I can raise 3 extra queens for when I need to requeen a big hive in a hurry. Those that I don’t use, I can usually sell them quickly.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The Michael Palmer style resource hives are not needed in the South due to our much milder winters. In TN, you should have no problem overwintering in a single deep 5 frame nuc. For comb and bee production, a five over five setup works well. I just hived a resource nuc that was 3 mediums over a deep. In two months the bees drew out or repaired all the frames and had it well stocked with nectar and pollen. They are now in a medium over deep 10 frame with the extra medium frames down in the deep for now. Will be pulling the five deep frames soon for a split.
Even farther north, near Chicago, 5-frame deeps seem to work for overwintering. At least they did this last, fairly mild winter.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,275 Posts
Ryan, that is a queen castle and you are using it exactly as intended, as a mating nuc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts