Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

We are now past swarm season in Australia and have seen a lot of swarms this year. Now that it's coming into the new season in the northern hemisphere I'm wondering if anyone is interested in doing a research project.

I would like to see some comparisons of the various spring brood nest management techniques uses to prevent swarms and increase populations for main honey flows.

Does anyone have at least 25 hives in one place and is willing to try some of the various techniques?
If you would need compensation, I'm sure there would be a number of beekeepers willing to chip in, using a Crowdfunding site such as http://www.indiegogo.com/

I would like to see at least 5 hives for each of the following techniques.

1. Checkerboarding
  2. Inserting a box of drawn comb
  3. Pyramiding Up
  4. The swapping of brood boxes
  5. Raising the sides - this is my own one.

It would be nice if a Detailed Frame Notation, or photos of frames was done each time a manipulation was done.

Also, records of when different plants flowered, when any queens cells were seen and if a hive swarmed.

Lastly, records of the yields of each, such as number of capped frames, or weight of honey from each hive.

Thanks
Matthew Davey

·
Registered
829 Posts
This would be great study. I have finally finished reading all of Walt Wright's stuff and would like to implement his methods. Unfortunately, that will have to wait as I have nowhere near the amount of drawn comb the system requires. -james

·
Registered
440 Posts
Unfortunately, that will have to wait as I have nowhere near the amount of drawn comb the system requires. -james
Check out M. Bush's Pyramiding up process. It is very close to W. Wright's but doesn't require as much drawn comb, in fact Mr. Bush recomends adding emty frames with no drawn comb. I will look for the link to his website and edit my post with it...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesexperiment.htm

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yes, fishman. Thanks from me, too. I had read that before and forgotten about it as it was so long ago. I was such greek to me, then. I saw Walt's article in the June 2011 issue of BC and that got me started reading all his material. Now that I have read Walt's stuff, the references to it in MB's material makes so much more sense. Pyramiding up may be my only option, at least for a while (until I get a stock of drawn comb laid by.) Thanks, again for the link. And kudos once again to Mike Bush and many thanks to he and Walt Wright and the so many others who take the time to share their knowledge teaching others. -James

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Guy's,

"Pyramiding up" is actually Dee Lusby's idea. Michael Bush says that in the first post of the link for "Pyramiding up" in my first post.

Have a look at http://www.beesource.com/point-of-view/ed-dee-lusby/ for more of her and Ed's ideas.

Side note: I just read what she said about "Housel Positioning". That explained why some of our frames of foundation have been ignored. It turns out they are the wrong way around for the bees. As comb structure indicates where the centre of the broodnest is!

So is there anyone who has hives to experiment with?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts