Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a BUNCH of hive top feeders that leak. One dumped about 4L of syrup inside a hive tonight before I caught it!

What're people recommending for resealing these things?

I've seen:
  1. -pouring in melted beeswax or parrafin wax and wobbling around to fill all the cracks
  2. -painting with polyurethane or shelac (will it stick to older wood contaminated with paint, sugar, caulking, etc)
  3. -pouring/painting with fiberglass resin

Would dipping/boiling in wax & rosin seal up the leaks? Gives me an excuse to build a wax dipping tank, and while it'll take time to actually boil them, it seems less labour intensive than the painting/pouring in various materials.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
453 Posts
in making my top box feeders i used a heat gun...one used to soften old paint...to melt bees wax and used a small paint brush to spread it inside the box. no leaks so far.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think you are talking about bucket style feeders? I use a top feeder from Mann Lake, that is great, and holds about 4 gallons.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope... not bucket-type. The type with one or two reservoirs. Some with open-access for the bees (they literally climb all over the feeder on floats), some with "lids" to keep the bees contained to a certain area to prevent drowning.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You're talking about miller type feeders... I had the same problem with mine, tried the beeswax, that was a total failure... then used caulk (GE Silicone I), worked like a charm. Just put a bead of it on each seam.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I've used Camcote epoxy paint. It's food grade and once you paint it on, it's there forever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts