Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a nuc requeening itself.

She should be days away from laying eggs. Last time I was in there was capped brood and queen cells. Now it is nearly 2 weeks later.

I'm wondering if there are enough bees to keep the hive going forward. They started as a 3# package.

I'm feeding just in case I don't have enough foragers to sustain the hive. I'm anxious about the quanity of nurse bees.

I suppose in the wild they either would make it or fail.

I'll check for eggs in 2 days.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that! Keep us posted on how your newly hatched queen does...I currently have a queenless colony in which I believe I caused the package to reject their newly accepted queen of 9 days by attempting checkerboarding of the frames. I fell prey to random YouTube advice, at the cost of my bees. Ugh! I now realize I changed their home too early in her life with her new workers...They have queen cells they're attempting to raise, but just to make sure I don't end up with a failed colony, I did order a replacement, mated queen. She won't be here until next Tuesday, though. I hope your virgin queen makes it!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I've checkerboarded in times past, but I'm considering the idea the Canadian Beekeeper Blog follows...keeping his brood together and adding to the outside.

Of course I'm also radically thinking about adding boxes to the bottom first before adding a honey super to the top. I'm going foundationalless and Michael Bush does it that way at times.

I really am blown away by how the season has gone right this year. In addition to my struggling package, I ended up with two swarms.

If the queen fails, I may combine with one of them, most likely will.

Thanks for the well wishes. Hoping you get a strong queen either way as well. I hate that these wonderful creatures have to have us learning on them.

I'm in western nc and winter was hard on several bee keepers and new beeks this year. I'd like to hear about your winter plans some time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Foragers bringing in pollen...looks like she's in there. I'll ck after I get back on the 9th, but pretty sure.

My first requeening!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts