Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive with a poor Queen only laying here and there with plenty of comb to lay in. When I get ready to requeen do I just kill her and put the new Queen in with here queen cage of coarse or I read some where to kill and wait 24 hours before putting the new Queen in. Can some one help me with this by giving instructions thanx

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If you're introducing the new queen in a queen cage with candy plug you can put her in immediately after squishing the old queen, and let the bees release the new queen. Or, if you want max safety, then wait a few hours before introducing the new one.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I usually do it right away...kill the old queen. Put the new queen cage in all at the same time. However, I may leave the cork in the candy end of the queen cage for a day or two, to let them get used to the new queen. Then, I may remove the cork and poke a nail sized hole in the candy to help the bees eat through and release the queen. Good luck!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If you're a hobbiest with only a few hives, I would not kill the queen. I'd bank her in a nuc. Take the frame of brood you find her on and a frame of honey and put her in a nuc or hive body. If they accept the new queen and everything is fine, then you can get rid of her and recombine the nuc. Or keep it for a spare queen until winter...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts