Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess thats what it is. I split a hive withe queen cells into 4 nucs. In two of them Im requeening with a feral queen. Do I need to do anything about the queen cells on the frames. Thanks
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Nope, if you've got queen cells in there nature will take it's course and you'll end up with nuc with fresh queens. If the cells are capped be sure to check those nucs in 2 or 3 weeks to see if there are laying queens. They sometime "disappear" on their mating flight. If that happens the nuc will collapse after that unless you combine them with a queenright colony or drop in some eggs & larva with nurse bees.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess thats what it is. I split a hive withe queen cells into 4 nucs. In two of them Im requeening with a feral queen. Do I need to do anything about the queen cells on the frames. Thanks
Matt
If you are placing your feral queens in the nucs and there are closed queen cells on the frames you are risking the new queen: not being accepted, the young queens hatching and losing the feral to a dual with the new queen. If you have cells on the frames let them hatch. You can always work the feral queens in if the new hatches are poor queens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts