Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to requeen my six hives. I don't have very good luck finding the queen. I intend to take the honey supers off before I requeen. Can I take an empty box, put a queen excluder between the brood boxes and the empty box, then put a fume board treated with Bee Quick and drive all but the queen into the empty box, then destroy the old queen and shake the bees back into the original brood box?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Wooly:

I do not think that will work. Even the the queen excluder is suppose to exclude the queen, it doesnt in some cases. If the queen NEEDS to get through, she will.

I would search on beesource and look for two great topics on finding queens. The only way is to practice and this is a great opprotunity for it.

My advice is not to use toom uch smoke. Now.. dont be stupid like me... use some smoke... just not a lot.

Take the first to frames out of the hive and on the third frame, before taking it out, look on the side of the 4th frame. This is suggested by hary vanderpool of Oregon who was taught by Kenny who is the president of the oregon beekeeping association.

The above method really does work great..... better than any other method I have tried.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Divide and conquer! Especially with requeening.

Put an excluder between the hive bodies. In 3-4 days, only the body where she is will have eggs. Set this off onto a new bottom board behind the original hive facing away. Within an hour or so, foragers will have returned to the old stand leaving you fewer bees to deal with.

Additionally, the old stand can now be requeened as it is queenless. The "set-aside" portion can be maintained as a nuc until the new queen proves to be accepted. (The old queen is thus saved incase something goes wrong.) After the queen is accepted, the old queen is killed and the hives combined into their original position.

I've sometimes worked the queen-right portion frame by frame moving frames into a new box once it's been scrutinized.

Waya

1 - 5 of 5 Posts