Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen this talked about here and there but nobody ever goes into detail and i'm just wondering how it works. every time i try to search about it i just come up with stuff about nucs and adding queens to a nuc etc. what i am referring to is when you add a nuc with a laying queen to a large queenless colony. do they need to be hopelessly queenless for this to work? or can you make the big hive queenless and immediately add the nuc/queen to it? thanks

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i've seen this talked about here and there but nobody ever goes into detail and i'm just wondering how it works. every time i try to search about it i just come up with stuff about nucs and adding queens to a nuc etc. what i am referring to is when you add a nuc with a laying queen to a large queenless colony. do they need to be hopelessly queenless for this to work? or can you make the big hive queenless and immediately add the nuc/queen to it? thanks
replacing a laying queen with a laying queen should produce no problems at all.
Take 5 frames out of the center of the queenless colony and put the 5 frames of the nuc with the laying queen in place...done.
If you want more insurance then do a newspaper combine.
-> put the nuc frames into the center of a 10 frame or 8 frame deep depending on what configuration you are using, then put a sheet of newspaper on top of the queenless hive then place the the new 10F/8F super with the nuc in it on top.

Just need to check the queenless hive for queen cells first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts