Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered queens and nucs from a reputable Russian breeder. I expect he will be able to deliver. However, hypothetically speaking nucs are hard to guarantee delivery of. My question is, how succesful could I expect to be if I purchased another genetic of nucs and requeened them with pure Russian queens?:scratch:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Requeening with ripe queen cells is very easy if you can buy the cells. When introducing a mated Russian queen to a colony of a different race, more time is required for the introduction. I find I get better acceptance rates if I first intro the Russian queen into a nuc with mostly young house bees. Make up a nuc using emerging brood, young larvae etc and shake some nurse bees into it. Then introduce the Russian queen and once she has brood and bees of her own you can combine it with the other hive using the newspaper method.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the new queen cells the problem is I now have mutts and when she mates she will be mating with them. I am doing splits. How will it work if I put the queen cage in each hive, destroy any queen cells in 2 days, check in 4 days, and if she isn't out, destroy any newqueen cells and release her on the 5th day myself, close them up for 10 days before checking again? This is what the Russian breeders recommend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts