Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must requeen my mean feral hive. They're only mean when I open the hive but day before yesterday they started chasing my girlfriend & her grandson who were watching me check them from about 50 feet away! Stung her 4 year old grandson twice.

I have 2 possibilities. One of the local bee club members has a frame with a queen cell (due to hatch in about 5-6 days) I can get. Other is to order a queen from California or Hawaii.

I don't know which would be best. The local queen cell can be inserted sooner (have to order the other) but will need to be bred & start laying. Is she likely to be a problem as she'll probably breed with drones from my mean hive? Also I know there will be a delay before she starts laying but also a delay in the bought one while waiting for her to arrive but will not have the genetics from being bred to my drones.

Advice appreciated!

Lew in Waco, TX

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
From my experience the daughter queen, even if it's from the mean hive, is usually much calmer. It's your choice. Another way to calm down a hive is split it AND requeen it. The results are a bit more immediate that way. A weaker hive tends to be more docile to start with (the split) and once they have a new queen they seem to quiet a lot even though the genetics of the bees haven't had time to change.

I'm guessing that a mean hive is some combination of things and not JUST genetics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts