Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,204 Posts
Grafting for one queen simply doesn't make sense. It takes a lot of resources to graft and really only works if you're making 30+ queens.

As crofter stated, a snelgrove/double screen board would get you the queen cells you need. You could use those cells to make splits or let them hatch and have a colony over another colony. You could then combine one to your weakest colony or just have another hive.

And it's up to you to define "weakest" colony. Keep in mind that Italians may build up earlier so they could be considered "stronger" While Carniolans often expand faster, but later in the year - often showing larger numbers when they are most needed also being "stronger". As such, I look at a hive's performance throughout the year. I move brood from early builders to slower builders and let them all have equal resources, a practice know as equalizing. Only then do I judge them. I did this already this year and can already tell who's getting replaced. If I give you 3 frames of brood and you still aren't expanding, it's time to go!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts