Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.....

Got the new queen into the hive, Ole queen in a nuc(with only 2 frames of bees). New queen has been released from ez-cage and is walking around on comb in hive..... I did not see any new larve yet but I think it is to early... yet.... will see by this sat.....

Here is the Delima.......

I can not bring myself to Kill the Ole queen....... :confused:

What are the alturatives to killing the queen....
Is there a Ole bee home that you can send her to for retirement.....???

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
If she is laying well, the nuc you have her in could be the retirement home...but, I don't know what you will do with the nuc come winter. You can overwinter nucs, but I have only overwintered those with 4 or 5 frames in NC. I don't have any experience with anything smaller, except for a mating nuc I overwintered last year. You'll be starting out with an old queen in the spring, but that isn't much of a problem in a nuc anyway.

Keeping her around sounds like a lot of trouble, but it's possible. What are your plans for that nuc you have her in?

I would let things stay "as is" until that new queen starts laying...she could be a flop.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Steve,
I hold onto the queen in a nuc to make sure the new one is accepted and not supercedured. If so, then putting her down has its purpose. I totally understand the "humanity" issue, but remember why you're replacing her. You don't want her genetics polluting your stock if she's a poor queen. So you don't want to hold on to her. To do otherwise isn't to "humane" for the rest of the hives as you'll continue producing queens that need killing and offspring that suffer from ill health.

Options that take the sting out of killing a queen would be to cool her in the fridge and drop her in some alcohol. the alcohol will absorb her scent and can be used as a swarm lure. Another option is to use her in education classes with school kids once she's in alcohol or on a pin.

Waya

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If you want to keep the ole queen then build a double screen and place between the colony with new queen and the nuc with old queen--the heat of the queen colony will keep the nuc warm--just make sure the screen is three quarter inch apart so that the bees above and below can not touch tongues. You will have a two queen colony of sorts. In the Spring you can make your final decision.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
This is not a practical solution but it might bring some enjoyment. Purchace an observation hive and place it in a heated indoor location where you can run a tube outside for an entrance. That way you can enjoy the hive all winter, learn a lot without disturbing the bees, and have something to show off to your friends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts