Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a couple of queens back in January. They where shipped yesterday (Monday 5/6) and are due to arrive tomorrow (Wednesday 5/8).

We have 80-100% chance of thunderstorms ALL DAY LONG from Wednesday through Saturday. The first probable nice weather is Sunday.

Historically, I have a *terrible* time finding queens. I can do it maybe 1 in 20 times -- worse when the hives are highly populated (like they are now). I suspect I will have to run them through an excluder to find them... and not something I want to do on a 30 minute break in the weather between thunderstorms.

Can I put both these new queens on top of a honey super (above an excluder) for safe keeping for 4-5 days?

If not... what would you suggest?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Give them a drop of water when they arrive, and every day until you install them. Put the cages in a quiet dark place (closet, drawer etc.) and you can keep them for a week. If you put them in some kind of queen bank you can keep them for months...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Michael,

The predicted weather today was rain... and it is sunny for the moment. In an effort to be able to find a window to install them during a calm in the storms, I went out and caged the queens I was going to replace. Hopefully there will be 30 minutes of calm where I can swap one cage for the other.

In a great surprise to myself: I found both queens relatively easily and didn't have to strain them through an excluder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts