Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Requeening and swarm control split question?

1912 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  beedeetee
Hello, I have been reading this forum for a while and decided to join. This is my 2nd year beekeeping, I bought 9 established hives last spring. I have a strong hive that still has the old queen from last year in it. I was thinking about removing the old queen with a frame of brood and honey to requeen and get more honey production during the sourwood flow since they wouldn't have brood to feed until they hatched a new queen. Do you think this would be a good idea and would work?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
595 Posts
There are individuals who intentionally remove the queen and then later on destroy the supercedure cells with the intention that all the bees are supposed to go out and forage as there is nothing for them to do in the hive.

I haven't yet try it, but I will plan for it next year's flow.

However, when one of my hives is queenless, I see alot of unmotivated bees just hanging out with no purpose whatsoever. So, it makes me wonder if the above is true.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.