Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I quit feeding to soon. My favorite Koehnen queen along with about 1/4 of the workers died about a week ago. Pears had bloomed and had been feeding them heavy so I figured they would be ok. Not. Found her in the bottom along with a heap of dead and no stores. Make lemonade from lemons.
Started feeding them again and went in yesterday to check. Yep 5 nice queen cells. Pulled a frame with 2 cells out and made up a nuke. Now my question. I got a hive in the pasture that I wish would die and want. Don't feed'em nothing and they grow and grow. Problem is they are mean as a cornered rat. I'm talking bee suit and Tyvek double gloves and ball cap. Vale brim will have a couple 100, yes 100, stingers in it. Follow you 300 yards till I walk into my cow herd and they attack the cows. What's the best way to requeen this beast if the nuke makes it? If I pinch the evil queen and intro the nuke queen as aggressive as they are I figure they will kill her even caged or am I wrong? Afraid just pinching her and letting them requeen want calm them down enough. Hopefully I will have a good opportunity hear as I don't really need another hive and got a spair queen who's mothers workers can't hardly make them sting.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Instead of just introducing the queen combine the whole nuc with the mean hive after you dequeen it. I as well have a hive like yours and this is my plan for it this spring. Pinch the evil wench and combine them with one of my nucs. Best of luck bud

·
Registered
304 Posts
Won’t the drones from the mean hive be donating to the genetics of your new queens offspring. Maybe best to just buy a mates queen?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got 3 hives all within 50 yards that have really sweet girls in them and just the one evil hive. Hopefully the law of averages works out.... but probably not!lol Just how would you go about combining the nuke and queen with this hot of hive. When you go to unstrapping the roof hear they come!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Couple ways you could do it. Transfer the nuc into a full size box and fill out the outside frames with comb or foundation. Set the nuc on top of the mean hive (post queen killing) with newspaper between them allowing them to slowly combine. That way she has her whole hive who have already accepted her to protect her while the other hive accepts her. Or at least that's how I see it and what my plan is for mine.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes, It is hard to requeen an aggressive hive. I would just write off my losses and remove the bad gene pool from my apiary by simply destroying the mean hive. If you insist of keeping it then read on.

If you still have a queen cell frame in nuc: Kill the queen if you can find her. Give them your desired queen cell frame. Go back after 5 days and kill all the new cells if they have built any.

If your nuc queen is already hatched: Let her mate first. Move the nuc next to the mean hive. Let the nuc grow to a full size box on their own. Kill the queen in the mean hive. Place the queenless mean hive on top of the queen right hive (separated by #8 double screened board) for a week or so. Go back and kill ALL the queen cells after a week. Then do a new paper combine after few days. Basically you are spreading the pheromones of new queen without endangering the nuc queen/population. And you are making the aggressive hive hopelessly queenless so that will be more willing to accept a new queen.

Good luck.

PS: I had a mean hive like you are describing (hundreds of stings on suit, follow me to 200 yards) and luckily the queen died in first winter. I requeened the hive with good queen. Luckily no queen was open mated while that hive was in my apiary! We, people in south, must watch out for such aggressive hives and destroy/requeen them BEFORE they can spread the drones around in the area.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Instead of just introducing the queen combine the whole nuc with the mean hive after you dequeen it. I as well have a hive like yours and this is my plan for it this spring. Pinch the evil wench and combine them with one of my nucs. Best of luck bud
Close - just newspaper combine them with the nice colony. The host hive is already queenless, so they'll accept them almost with out a newspaper. Make sure the nuc' has an exit hole.

As for the aggressive colony, yes, kill the queen and re-queen them from less aggressive laying queen using a Laidlaw queen introduction cage that lets the new queen lay eggs over hatching brood before she is released. This brings up her pheromone levels, which causes acceptance. Do not release the queen until you, the beekeeper, see that they are not making an attack ball over the intro cage, but instead are tending and feeding her through the cage. The colony behavior will still be a bit jumpy, but the aggressiveness will go down.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Won’t the drones from the mean hive be donating to the genetics of your new queens offspring. Maybe best to just buy a mates queen?
I would be tempted to put a queen (and drone) excluder on the front/bottom of the mean hive to keep all of the drones with mean genes trapped in the hive until you can get it straightened out. If you can put the excluder over the entrance I would try to do it at night when most of the drones are in the hive.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well so far so good. I went into both the original hive where my queen starved and the nuke I made with a couple of the cells. A nice fat queen in both now sporting a florence pink dot! Less than a week ago we had 3 freezing nights in a row so I was concerned especially the nuke but both look to be doing well. Still no guarantee one or both didnt breed with a aggressive drone but things going as well as possible. My first time making up a nuke with queen cell so I'm pleased. My other carni hive is doing just like they should. Have remained in small cluster until now and just exploding with flow a week or so off. Had to add another box and opened up the brood. With temps high 70s and 80s and lows in 60s and 50s for extended they should be fine and will hopefully get me threw worse of swarm season. I'll let the nuke establish then transfer to a full box, let them settle a couple weeks then pinch the evil queen and attempt a newspaper combine. Thanks for all the advice. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I hope it works for you.Its hard to get those that are that mean to take a queen not from their hive.I have killed off queens and tried new queens to no avail.Ended up making them hoplessly queenless and then adding brood from gentle bees and let them raise new queen.Now days they get the gasoline treatment when they are all in the hive.I dont need any of those kind of drones mixing in with my new queens.Newbees buy mean bees and when they get flogged with mean bees they give up beekeeping.I sell and try to help newbees and dont want any genetics like those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts