Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i need to replace the queen in my hive and i can't find the queen what do i need to do?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Try again. Not much smoke or none.

If that doesn't work and you just can't find her you could always do a cell with protector on if locally available. The newly hatched virgin will find her for you.

Or

If you've got more than one brood box try a queen excluder between them. Four days later start looking in the box with eggs. Still can't find her, try shaking the frames from that box onto an excluder and using smoke to push the bee's through it into another box. She should show up on the excluder.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If that hive has a queen you have to find her one way or another or the workers will kill the new queen you try to introduce.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
You'll need to find the old queen...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenspotting.htm

If you really can't, then you have to ask yourself why you're replacing the old queen. Assuming she's just a year old and you felt you need to be premptive, then I'd put the new queen in a nuc and see how things go. Either way you may want to do the nuc as a queen who is in the process of laying is uaully accepted. In other words, if you put her in a nuc and get her laying in the nuc, you can probaly smoke the hive moderately well (just some smoke into all the corners, but not so much they are being smoked out) and add the frame with the queen on it to the hive. This will most likely result in a two queen hive for a while and eventually they will keep the one with the best pheromones...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts