Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions, I want to replace customary inner cover with something like a canvas or plastic.
Any suggestions of what and where to purchase
Thanks

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
This year, I am using the silver bubble wrap Reflectex as an inner cover. Sam Comfort showed this at one of the national bee meetings I attended last year. Looks promising.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: I find it works very well. I also use this for hive wraps and blocking off honey supers when doing OA vaporizations.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Four mill plastic sheeting works, but it is awkward to handle in a wind. The sheeting with an edge taped to foam insulation board is easier to handle. You might try checking with awning or boat cover/top manufacturing shops for canvas materials.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
This year, I am using the silver bubble wrap Reflectex as an inner cover. Sam Comfort showed this at one of the national bee meetings I attended last year. Looks promising.
im trying the same this year with a few hives.
Going to try a few single brood chamber hives too...keeps the hobby fun changing things up even if they are a failure.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I cut old chicken feed bags to fit, or use old political sign. Both free and you can cut a hole in them for a feeder then add an empty box on top.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
What are the advantages to using fabric? I have seen it used (youtube) and my initial reaction was that it would be a pain to deal with. J

·
Registered
176 Posts
Big Duck Canvas is located near me. I dropped by their facility and picked up three yards of #8 Duck canvas to experiment with.

https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/numbe...cotton-canvas-duck-18-oz-by-the-yard-natural/

$8.15/yd plus tax. 60" wide. (The usable width is actually 61".) So I can get three across cutting the inner covers a tad longer than the box dimension.

My first use for this canvas inner cover will be on a double 4-frame nuc. The width of the two boxes is approximately the same as a 10-frame box so my 10-frame telescoping cover works with this set-up. I am hoping the canvas will make a good seal at the tops of the boxes and cut off communication between the two boxes.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
so is this $10 for 1 yard by 6 feet? Im trying to figure out how much to order.
If those measurements are right then you could get 6 inner covers for $10 and thats super cheap!
Hobby Lobby and Walmart also have duck canvas - probably also your local fabric store.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It would make upper entrances impossible.
You could add a shim with a upper entrance. I have some 3/4" shims (for patties, ect) and it would be easy to add an entrance to one.

I have 1/8" hardware cloth and a chunk on canvas on the top of my hives. This is what I have on the bottom of my quilt boxes, and the bees have sort of been covering it with propolis, but it has survived.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I've used old polytunnel (hoop tunnel ?) polythene sheeting in the past, and haven't been over-impressed with it - but - my criticisms have been that, a) it's got a mind of it's own in even a gentle breeze (however, this problem does cure itself after some propolis has been attached; and b) that it's not obvious how to install an overhead (inverted-jar) feeder without risking the meniscus coming into contact with the frame top-bars and thus causing a flood.

However, the last potential problem can very easily be cured by spacing the plastic away from the top bars, as seen in the following video (posted by Greg) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlq3n2cJKBk such that an inverted jar feeder could easily be supported from underneath by a pair of thin battens.

Although I'm quite content to use rigid boards, having now seen the use of those spacing battens, if I should ever have the need for a quick 'fix', I'll now very happily reach for a roll of plastic sheet. :)
LJ

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
1 - 20 of 62 Posts