Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say you have two supers. The top one is about 1/4 capped honey, the bottom one about 1/2 capped honey. Underneath is a deep brood box with a queen excluder directly over it. Where would you put an extracted super in relation to these so the bees will most quickly clean and get back to work filling it?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Let's say you have two supers. The top one is about 1/4 capped honey, the bottom one about 1/2 capped honey.
First combine the two supers [the 1/4+1/2] placing the frames [7-8] in the middle of the super. Then place the wet extracted frames [2-3] on the outside of the combined supers removing the empty frames to the balance of the wet extracted super. Then place the wet extracted super on top of the combined honey super. Then I would remove the queen excluder: The queen [if she has plenty of area to lay in the lower brood box] should not cross the honey barrier and is not as likely to lay in the outside frames. Then I would remove the last super which now has the empty frames of the 1/4+1/2 combine [I assume would be nothing but empty frames]. However if the 3rd super is drawn and has honey, place these frames on the lower super [instead of the 2-3 wet frames]. Place above the lowere mostly drawn super and put the wet super above. The should clean it up just fine.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Early in the season(nectar flows) place it on the bottom. Late in the season place it on top. If you are unsure just place it on top and the bees will use it if they need to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts