Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on what to use for replacing broken wedges for the top bars? I've got a bunch of frames I'm going to strip and reuse but the wedges are going to break in a large number of them. In the past I've simply put staples in a few of the bends of the crimp wire foundation but the wedges are much easier to deal with when reusing again. Thanks

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Table saw. It doesnt take long to rip up a bunch of them. Less time than trying to save the old ones and pull fasteners.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could you split some paint sticks with a knife, and use them as wedges?

I tried - it didn't work. The grain makes the cut go off right away. Tablesaw looks like the ticket. I'm just too lazy to pull it out but it looks like I will do so.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Table saw. It doesnt take long to rip up a bunch of them. Less time than trying to save the old ones and pull fasteners.
Sorry to ask but can you tell me if there is a certain size material that you use or do you simply set the fence and blade depth for one cut and do again for the other? Seems like maybe a piece of 1X cut on the edge would produce two wedges without having to reset the blade??
Thanks

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I use a piece of 2x material actually 1 1/2 thick. 2x4, 2x6, whatever. I cut a number of pieces 16 3/4" long and set the fence about a tad less than 1/2 inch from the saw and exposing the blade 2 inches or so, rip cuts into one or both edges leaving enough material to keep the pieces together. Do this with all the 16 3/4' pieces you have cut. Next set the fence about 3/16 of an inch from the saw and make cuts with the piece on the flat so that every pass severs off three wedge bars. You keep cutting till you hit solid wood. You could use 3/4" stock but only get 2 wedges a bit less than 3/8" wide.

I really does not take much longer to do than it does to tell about it! You precut a number of pieces, then change your setting to do all the severing cuts.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I gave up using wedge top bars years ago. Too many break when renewing foundation. Grooved top bars and hot wax works better for me. No broken wedges and no nails. To renew, dip top bar in hot water and scrape old wax from the groove...with the groove tool available from supply houses. Plastic foundation snaps in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Kelley has them 50 / $13 or 50 / $ 11 if you order 100

But if you have a good table saw, just rip / split a 4-ft length of whatever is handy to proper thickness / width, then cut into 16" pieces.....the the loss of 3/4" in length isn't going to make a bit of difference

1 - 11 of 11 Posts