Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 hive that doesn't have a very good brood pattern and I think the Queen is starting to back off on producing eggs as she is 2 yrs. old. As it is July and the Honey season is about over here in S.E. Kansas I was wondering if I could find the Queen and PINCH her and let them make a new Queen. They should have enough time before Winter which comes in late October or early November. I have 2 other hives that I could rob a frame of brood and eggs from if necessary. What do you think? Looking for Ideas. Dale

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
I think a not so great brood pattern is better than no brood pattern at this stage. I'd wait till next spring to disrupt this colony.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
If you are shy on bees now I would purchase a queen instead of growing your own as in the time it takes the home made queen to lay eggs that will then hatch out your population will drastically drop.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
In theory a purchased queen is quicker. In reality I don't know if it makes that much difference. I've had caged queens that took two weeks to start laying. If it takes me a week to find one (not unusual) and few days for it to get here (not unusual) then I've got about the same amount of time invested and the queen probably won't be as good and definitely won't be as adapted to my climate...

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
There's certainly enough time but are you sure you need a new queen? I have a few hives that are just slow right now due to the lack of pollen and nectar during this hot summer. I suspect that the queens will kick into gear later in the year. You may replace the queen and have the same results as now or only coincidentally see a lot of new brood. Still, if you've been doubting her for a while you may want to go with your gut. I'd wait and see.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of your thoughts on replacing the Queen. Just wondering if that is the way to go about replacing the Queen when the time comes, providing you like her past performance and want to keep her genetics. Thanks again. Dale

1 - 6 of 6 Posts