Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my 2 new hives on Saturday (1 week since package installation) and one had no evidence of a living queen or eggs. I added a frame from my other hive, which had queen and eggs. Last night I bought a new queen from my supplier. This morning I went in to check and I saw 2 supercedure cells - one capped, one uncapped. Is it a better idea to install the new queen and remove the supercedure cells, or is there an argument to be made to let the bees raise their own queen?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
[QUOTE

excellent question. If you had a sustainable apiary and were making a nuc then you would let that cell develop. The problem of letting it go now is timing.
If they continue with the cell.......meaning you couldn't get a queen.....then she will hatch about 15 days out, hopefully go out and come back mated, then take a few days to get a good rhythm going while she figures it out. That brood is going to emerge in a month. So for the next month your population is declining while you really want it doubling every week or so.
If you get the new queen scrape off those cells and introduce her cage. let them release her. shake the bees off each frame and check well that there is no other cups/cells. I am amazed how quickly the hive roars up to pissed off level when you do this. has to be done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts