Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local club of which I am a member was given an older 4-frame hand-crank extractor (Kelly model k-9, I think) that I have really, REALLY loved. It was incredibly well balanced. But it looks like the last person to use it allowed water to sit in the tank (to clean it?) which froze up the ball-bearings in the bottom that the basket rotates around.

I would dearly love to get this extractor back into operation and I think all I need is to have the ball bearing repaired or replaced. But I am coming up dry trying to find a replacement part (or really even a diagram of how this is supposed to work). The top 3 pictures are of the ball-bearing. It does move (rotate), but just barely (maybe 1/8th of a turn).

Any advice on how I can get this back into service would be appreciated.
Tableware Dishware Automotive tire Serveware Rim
Automotive tire Wood Rim Tread Automotive wheel system

Household hardware Nickel Natural material Auto part Metal

Photograph Motor vehicle Font Gas Snapshot

·
Administrator
11,542 Posts
Clean up the surface of the bearing so that you can read the numbers on the bearing. I can see what looks like a "203RR", and the item here:

. . . appears to be similar. But get all the numbers to do a better search.

·
Administrator
11,542 Posts
I suggest careful measuring of the key dimensions of the bearing, and comparing those dimensions to some candidates that come up in a search. Here is one that looks similar and displays full dimensions:

A micrometer will be helpful in measuring the bearing.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Not sure what kind of housing your bearing goes into, but here is a great deal on the bearing and a housing. You could always remove the bearing from this housing and have a new bearing to mount into your housing if different.

• Love
Reactions: chrisnbarnes

·
Registered
2 Posts
The local club of which I am a member was given an older 4-frame hand-crank extractor (Kelly model k-9, I think) that I have really, REALLY loved. It was incredibly well balanced. But it looks like the last person to use it allowed water to sit in the tank (to clean it?) which froze up the ball-bearings in the bottom that the basket rotates around.

I would dearly love to get this extractor back into operation and I think all I need is to have the ball bearing repaired or replaced. But I am coming up dry trying to find a replacement part (or really even a diagram of how this is supposed to work). The top 3 pictures are of the ball-bearing. It does move (rotate), but just barely (maybe 1/8th of a turn).

Any advice on how I can get this back into service would be appreciated.
View attachment 69190 View attachment 69191

View attachment 69192

View attachment 69189
if you want to experiment set it on top off an incandescent bulb until it gets almost too hot to touch, put gloves on and work it back and forth to see if it gets freed up. if it does put it back on the bulb again and this time when you take it off the bulb pack it IN food grade grease and let it cool.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You might try Kroil to loose the bearing up.

If you want to just replace it, Applied Technologies is where I buy these type of things for work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what kind of housing your bearing goes into, but here is a great deal on the bearing and a housing. You could always remove the bearing from this housing and have a new bearing to mount into your housing if different.

I really like this because I'm not certain what type of O ring (if any) goes into the housing. Thank you VERY much!!!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
There would not be any O ring between the bearing and housing.

The OD of the bearing could have straight sides meaning it has to be pressed in/out, or the OD of the bearing could have a radius on it (make it a self aligning type) and will have to be rotated 90* in the housing to be removed, the housing will have a notch in it where the bearing will slip out once turned 90*.

Give us a pic of the original housing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There would not be any O ring between the bearing and housing.

The OD of the bearing could have straight sides meaning it has to be pressed in/out, or the OD of the bearing could have a radius on it (make it a self aligning type) and will have to be rotated 90* in the housing to be removed, the housing will have a notch in it where the bearing will slip out once turned 90*.

Give us a pic of the original housing.

This:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
That is a self aligning type bearing, Looks like you already figured out how to remove it, I have seen several people try their best to beat them out only to break the housing.

Looks identical to the one on ebay to me, might compare some numbers and casting numbers on the housing and make a purchase. Just too easy!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: chrisnbarnes

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Also, before installing the new bearing I would pump food grade grease into it, trying to flush out the petroleum based grease.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The groove inside of the housing is for grease to travel around the side of the bearing, not an O ring, and into the bearing itself. Look at the third pic in your original post, you can see a very small hole in the side of the bearing for the grease to go inside.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts