Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Solar Wax Melter but not getting it to work to well, What other ways do you render your wax and cappings????

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Cheap crock pot from yard sale, craigslist, Salvation Army store, Goodwill, etc.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I, too, have rendered countless pounds of beeswax in a solar wax melter.
What seems to be the problem?
PS...be very careful if you choose to put it in an oven or on a stove top....beeswax is flammable after all.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Cheap crock pot from yard sale, craigslist, Salvation Army store, Goodwill, etc.
I have a solar wax melter, only melts during peak heat months. I can melt in a crock pot all year round. A crock pot does a faster and sometimes better job too. The crockpot is also much cheaper and reliable that a solar model (even if you build it yourself).

Mike

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
My solar melter is doing just fine - getting beautiful cakes of wax out of it from both old combs and cappings.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
7,106 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I use the Maxant tank and the metal solar melter from Mann Lake LTD. If you get a 5 gallon stainless pail (or two) from Kelley, it fits nicely into the Maxant unit. A piece of nylon strainer in a funnel can really clean the wax. I like to melt in one 5 gallon stainless bucket and pour through the strainer on top of a second bucket. This is not really the intended design behind the Maxant melter but I prefer a double boiler for safety in case I ever forget the unit is on. If the water ever were to boil away and the element came into direct contact with the wax it might ignite.
The Mann Lake unit is expensive but it is metal, and has a double pane lid. I have found the double pane of glass to make all the difference in the world. I had a cheap wood model with a single pane of glass - it was junk and needed really hot days to work at all. The dual pane works very well on a cool spring day.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Another alternative used in the 1950's and on. Put cappings in nylon stockings, put a brick on them under water, boil water (wood stove is ideal), wax comes to the top nice and clean, allow to cool, remove wax. I would fix the solar collector, maybe the thermopane window needs a thin ribbon of insulation between it and the collector. OMTCW

·
Registered
86 Posts
I melt my wax in an Oster countertop steamer . . . the type used to cook veggies/rice. It only takes a few minutes and no chance of fire. I then pour the melted wax through a strainer into another container to cool. You can melt your wax in almost any type of plastic container while in the steamer so you can still use the steamer in the kitchen.

You can buy them new for $20-30.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Will it melt cappings without the water as per the write-up? Will it melt blocks of wax that come from a solar melter?
I use the one which does not have the hot water jacket. The element and the wax and water are in the tank together
You can do about 2 5 gall buckets of spun cappings in one go. I add enough water so that when the cappings are added, the water level goes above the first spout. I bring to a solid rolling boil for a couple of minutes then turn it down so that it is warm enough the wax will not set, and let sit for about 2-3 hours. After that i let the water level down with the middle spout so the bottom of the wax level is just below the the top spout. Then use the top spout to remove the liquid wax.

The key is to let the wax and debris settle out of the wax.
I like the job it does.

Yes it will melt the blocks from the solar melter if you want to clean your wax again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.