Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what’s going on everyone?
How many times should I render my beeswax for it to be nice and clean? I would like to make lip balm, cream and candles. Thank you for looking, Dave

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Pitbull9, I was just posting in another thread about cleaning wax and how much one should expect. I render three times in boiling water to remove impurities. Remove the heat as soon as the wax has melted. I will heat the wax only in a pot in a water bath and do a final straining through an old piece of tee shirt or cheesecloth to get my candle wax. I think wax for cosmetics like lip balm and creams should be made only from cappings wax which is much lighter in color from the get go. You can see a picture of my just rendered drone brood comb wax in the thread: https://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?361561-How-much-wax

·
Registered
306 Posts
Search here on the forums or YouTube for beeswax rendering. It’s done by using a double boiler to separate the wax from the trash. Pretty easy but clean up can be a mess. Just be careful where you drip wax!

Edit: I didn’t see the post above before I posted. JWP is spot on!

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
I finally got over my vats of melting wax and use cast off microwaves and thrift shop microwave safe containers. Makes life so much simpler. Then I pour thru nylon tricot to filter. Keep your capping wax separate and it is beautiful with this treatment. The darker wax does benefit from melting in water. This can be done in the microwave too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts