Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on harvesting all honey from our hives and then using Apivar. However I still have a good flow going on and have at least one super on each colony so I can not use Apivar. Looks like I will be pushing Apivar treatment back about 2-3 weeks. This will be the time mites are increasing. Really a matter of timing. We are getting a large harvest this year and I dont want to discourage it nor do I want to harvest a lot of honey and feed it back to the bees. Does anyone else have this situuation or recommendation?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes we do have a good flow this year. I am just waiting until end of August or Labor Day weekend to remove supers and treat for mites. If you know you are loaded with mites now you could use oxalic acid vapor but I would just hold off for a few weeks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Are you testing for mites? You may not even need to treat right now. If you do test now and you have a hive with high mite counts with supers on, you can hit them with formic acid since those can be used with supers on.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It may vary a little bit in your climate but I find that Labor-day, Equinox, and Halloween serve as good timing points. By Labor Day weekend I reduce all my brood boxes to a single box (so only two strips of Apivar are needed). At the Equinox I put in the Apivar. Apivar needs to stay in for 42 days minimum, maximum 56 days. Equinox to Halloween is 40 days, that makes it easy; I can take it out the weekend after Halloween, unless the weather is bad, then the first good weather break after that. If Halloween is close to or on the weekend, then the next weekend, and if I was late getting it in at the Equinox I add the needed days. At the equinox I also remove any supers that are left I also start feeding 2:1 sugar syrup to top them off, with the goal that the second deep will be fully back filled wall to wall. The syrup also increases in hive traffic, increasing distribution of the apivar. Once the second deep is completely back-filled I remove the queen excluder. When it is time to take out the strips that can be done very quickly by just tilting the second box a little and slowly pulling the strip out. Apivar has a high initial kill rate (98% 48 hour kill) and then it will keep killing for the duration of time the colony is raising winter bees.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts