Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Here is an easy one that I am sure has been answered but I cant find it. Im about 90% sure its fine but its mighty late in summer to take a chance: I am doing a bee presentation for our conservation district program for kids tomorrow and I plan to take my observation hive so they can see them.
Is it ok to take a frame from the main colony that includes the queen? I assume the colony will be fine for a couple of hours but I just wanted to be sure.
Seems like it would be more fun to see the actual queen than hear me rambling about her.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A couple of hours should be fine, and it's fun for the kids to play "spot the queen", especially if she's not marked.

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,136 Posts
I've done the same thing in a single frame observation "hive" that I made. Have had them out for at least 3-4 hours and not had an issue dropping them back in. Have done it pretty late in the year as well. I think I did one in October awhile back. To be totally safe, you could always cage her with a small amount of candy so they have her chewed out within a half day or something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts