Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple nucs this spring and the frames are pretty bad shape, as you would expect. I would like to remove and I have been moving them gradually to the out side of the brood box hoping they would become the honey stores and replacing by inserting new frames into brood nest, some drawn and some with just foundation. It isn't working like I had planned, the queen just keeps filling them with brood. Should I put them above in a box with queen excluder between or just wait them out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why not just keep using them. Her majesty seems to really like them. Later on you will have ample opportunities to replace them

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct obviously she like them. It was probably a bad idea there is another Queen Bee in my life that thinks she know all the right things too. LOL

·
Registered
892 Posts
Once the new frames in the center are fully drawn out, she should prefer those over the ones at the edge. Just give it time (month or more)

·
Registered
693 Posts
As the other responses have indicated, use the old comb as long as the queen is happy with it. Once the brood pattern is widely scattered, it may be time to replace it.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
This time of year you can give her room by adding a box. When you see brood in the top box add another. Waite three weeks and pull out the bottom box with the old comb.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
as you would expect.
No, I would not expect. But I don't know what you mean by "pretty bad shape". Why did you buy nucs w/ combs in pretty bad shape? No choice? What do they look like, maybe it's a matter of semantics?

·
Registered
56 Posts
No, I would not expect. But I don't know what you mean by "pretty bad shape". Why did you buy nucs w/ combs in pretty bad shape? No choice? What do they look like, maybe it's a matter of semantics?
I'd imagine most people that sell nucs toss in an old frame here and there trying to rotate them out of their own apiary. I have one frame that looks like a mouse ate through it this winter. I don't really mind, it would be nice to get pristine comb, but I don't expect it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reasons I didn't expect any real good frames when I get a nuc is just as robb2k expressed. Regardless that's the way they were when I picked them up. I didn't really have much choice not many I knew of for sale.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
If the comb is old or chewed by I mouse I don't consider that a bad frame. A bad frame to me is when it is rickidy, ready to fall apart. Bees will fix chewed comb and real old comb can be replaced or cut out and left to go foundationless.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
The reasons I didn't expect any real good frames when I get a nuc is just as robb2k expressed. Regardless that's the way they were when I picked them up. I didn't really have much choice not many I knew of for sale.
Nuc sellers should do better. Seems like you know what you need to do and are doing it. Good plan.

If you have comb to put in their place, you could just remove them all together, extract them or let them be robbed and render them. Unless they are good enough for storing honey in, they will be a long term bother in your brood boxes. If you don't bite the bullet and get them out of your hives and gone they are going to be around for a long time.

Can you photo them and Post pictures? I'd like to see what these frames look like. I bet our standards are different.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
"Should I put them above in a box with queen excluder between or just wait them out."
If the frames were barely serviceable, I would move them up and then out to the sides over time as I happened to be in the hive for other reasons. If they needed to be out quickly, I would put some frames of nectar or honey between them and the brood chamber after some other frames had been worked into the brood area. I would be interested in why the queen likes these frames. What kind of foundation, what size actual cell space, how wide are the frames?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think best option to not lose the brood is to use a queen excluder between boxes I have a second box on them. The frames I have in are wood with plastic foundation. Cell size I am not sure of.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a few old pierco frames that the comb is jet black. They seem to be a favorite with the queens in several different hives.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts