Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 hives that need meds. removed now. Apistan and Apiguard. It has been cold here; no temps above 55 degrees for almost 3 weeks. Do I keep my fingers crossed and hope for a day before end of Oct. in the [low] 60's or remove anyway as soon as possible? I know!!, I was a little late with the meds. 2 hives 3 deep and 1, 2 deep. I am concerned about the "cluster". Thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If the temp is above 35, no wind, and you are quick you can take them out. Try this, lightly smoke them, Pop off the box above the one with strips and pull it back just a few inches and lift. Have someone grab the strips with needle nose pliers and pull them out. I think you will do more long term damage to the bee's leaving the strips in than a little cold will do.

As far as the Apigard, the box says to leave until the tray is empty. IMHO If it is empty there should be no problem with it.

Last winter I had 4 hives knocked over and boxes separated during a night time snow/wind storm. They must have been exposed for around 6 hours. I set the hives back together and they did fine. This spring I split them.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The only thing you may run into with the Apiguard tray is that the bees will have more time to propolize it. Even after 2 weeks mine were pretty well stuck down. For what it's worth, it rarely broke 60F for my 2nd round of Apiguard, and it was completely gone in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
If you see bees flying it’s ok to do a quick in and out. No mater, you need to get the Apistan out! They are tougher against cold than you think. I try to do my mite treatment in September if it’s not to warm ( I have been using Mite-away II) because the sooner you can knock down the mite population the stronger your winter clusters will be.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for your input about this. It is still cold here in WI. and we had .5 inches of snow this morning where I am. I learned a lesson about getting medications in early in the late summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts