Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typical Central New York Spring-warm spells, cold spells, clusters in the upper deeps, etc...I worked all my colonies last week, centered clusters, equalized honey, etc...everything looks average for this time of year. Queens are laying.

Question: I put 1 1/2 foam insulation boards with top entrances on in the Fall and they are still on. The upper entrance is a 1"x1" wide channel cut in the insulation, and it reaches to the inner cover cut out. With the occasional cold snap this time of year, should I leave them on or pull them off to help conserve some heat in the upper reaches of the hive where the clusters are, or will it even make that much of a difference.

I have a possible record cold night coming in 2 days and was concerned with the possibilities of the first flush of brood being chilled.

Thank you!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think it's still too cold to be taking anything off. That insulated cover is helping to prevent condensation as well. This time of the year is the hardest on bees, because the temp swings around so much.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I have a possible record cold night coming in 2 days and was concerned with the possibilities of the first flush of brood being chilled.

Thank you!
Unless the bees cluster so tight that they leave some of the brood uncovered, it aught to be alright. If some of the brood is lost, there is plenty of time for the colony to make up for it.

If you put it back on, leave it on until some time in May. It won't hurt to have it on. I have a friend who has insulated covers that stay on all year round.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts