Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to remove honey supers and let them sit in a place where the bees can't get to them? If so, how long would be okay? Can they be stored outside or do they need to be inside? I want to pull my supers about a week before I extract.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It's not safe here - SHB larva hatch out within 3 days. I pull supers in the evening, extract in the morning, put them back on hives to be cleaned the next evening when I pull more supers. But that's just me, and I really don't have that much experience at it.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
They are safe on the hive unless you have a super severe dearth, I pull them and take them straight to the honey house. No need to wait, just plan it so you can do what you need to

·
Registered
638 Posts
You COULD remove and then freeze untill your ready to extract. Then it needs to be thawed and warmed back up in order to extract. That will kill any eggs or anything else in there too. If you dont freeze, then you need to extract right away after removing from the hive or like everyone says......the honey will be wasted with all the pests laying eggs in the frames.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Hey there fellow Bee Keepers. I live in Roseburg, Oregon and am helping out a friend who is a Bee Keeper in hopes that he will train me so I can open up by own Bee conservatory. He recently informed me about CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder). So, he and I have decided to create this campaign to fund a documentary as well as reinforce surrounding colonies to ensure their survival. Every little bit helps. Donating would be great, but just sharing the message we bring about CCD would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Here is the website to check the legitimacy. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/global-crisis-honey-bee-documentary/x/8148510
knock off the spam posts. this is the third one in three different threads.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I did exactly this last spring since I had many boxes to pull and limited time. One weekend saturday I pulled boxes, took me most of the day. I think it was two weeks later I extracted. I stacked the boxes inside actually, in my house in the corner ontop of some flattened boxes to catch the drips. No wax moths, no small hive beetles, nothing at all wrong with my honey or frames when I extracted. I dont live in a heavy small hive beetle area though. I have seen some here and there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts