Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have four new colonies with top feeders and was wondering if anyone has removed their feeders yet. The pollen here is horrendous, looks like a dust storm some days, and I was considering removing my feeders since my hives are doing so well. Any thoughts????

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
You're feeding syrup is supplementing the pollen they are bringing in and turning the hive into a brood factory. Keep an eye on them, they might build fast and swarm on you. I don't know what your weather is there. Here, we get stronger pollen flows first and then more nectar flows.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
You have four new colonies? Good for you!! Did you hive them on foundation? And are you seeking to build them into two deep brood boxes each? Or three mediums? Have they drawn out all the comb for the brood boxes yet? if not, keep feeding! Keep feeding until they have drawn all the comb you want them to have for their brood boxes. Then when you put the first extracting super on, remove the feeder. This will not only assure you that the colony is strong enough to go into winter, but you might also get a surplus this year.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used plastic foundation on 3 hives and wax on the other. I am using medium garden hives and just added my second mediums. The wax hive is not being built on as fast as the others so I'm keeping an eye on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts