Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't remember who posted the suggestion for using compressed air to blow out dead bees stuck head first in comb, but i tried it today and it works great. many thanks.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Compressed air is a wonderful tool. But, you should wear googles when using it. There are many compressed air accidents each year, and most of them are the result of blowing foreign objects into one's eyes.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point ls, using protection. seems like the recommendation was for about 40 lbs, but i am finding it takes a bit more than that. these combs will get some bt applied and be used in swarm traps.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
seems like the recommendation was for about 40 lbs,
That is a bit dangerous. You should be using a blow off nozzle that amplifies the volume of air and limits the pressure to 15PSI. Compressed air can be lethal. I think spray from a garden hose would be a safer choice for cleaning.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
That is a bit dangerous. You should be using a blow off nozzle that amplifies the volume of air and limits the pressure to 15PSI. Compressed air can be lethal. I think spray from a garden hose would be a safer choice for cleaning.
I suggested it a few weeks ago, probably others in past have too. Its not dangerous, Air nozzle works very well on old comb, very fast and effecient, do not use on new comb.

Garden hose won't work, not enough velocity. then your combs are wet and bees that don't come out will rot.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry ace, but those dead bees were lodged in there pretty tight. i had to use the full 120 psi that my large compressor is capable of, and i had let it build back up anytime i got below 90 psi.

i have a nice pistol grip blower attachment that has a half diameter opening at the tip. rotten bee parts flew everywhere and it made a big stinky mess. the older blacker brood comb was tough enough not to blow apart, but some of the newer drawn wax didn't like it.

all in all it worked perfectly, and those frames are now much more inviting and better than they were bait for my swarm traps. i sprayed them with bt and put them out in the sun and wind to dry. they were covered up with scouts before the day was over, and they are now in my traps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Burns thanks for sharing, I couldn't remember where I saw it either but it worked great. I only needed about 90 psi, small cell must come out easier lol. :D

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Its not dangerous, Air nozzle works very well on old comb, very fast and effecient,
It is no laughing matter.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/compressed_air.html

Second, compressed air itself is also a serious hazard. On rare occasions, some of the compressed air can enter the blood stream through a break in the skin or through a body opening. An air bubble in the blood stream is known medically as an embolism, a dangerous medical condition in which a blood vessel is blocked, in this case, by an air bubble. An embolism of an artery can cause coma, paralysis or death depending upon its size, duration and location. While air embolisms are usually associated with incorrect diving procedures, they are possible with compressed air due to high pressures. While this seems improbable, the consequences of even a small quantity of air or other gas in the blood can quickly be fatal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts