Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for looking over my question. As I've said before, this forum is a life-saver for many folks like myself.

I did my first hive inspection today after eight days and things looked pretty good. I did see some larva and I was able to spot the queen, which I was shocked about. She stood out though for sure. The eggs were too hard to find at this time, but I'll use the sun next time.

My question is this:

There were some mounds of comb popping out from the vertical face of the frame. (With foundation). Apparently I did not move the frames together tight enough when I did the installation. Plus, the frames from the Nuc are just a tad different than mine, so I'm not sure they are as snug as they should be.

I did clean up the other comb along the inner cover and tops of the frames, but is this side comb something I need to worry about? I figure since the frames are replaced in the same fashion, then there will always be room on the opposite frame to accommodate the excess comb.

But I'm guessing it might be better to remove it to help prevent the queen from getting rolled, but I wanted to make sure first. And if so, can I just shake the bees off back into the box (looking for the queen first) from the frame and simply scrape the comb off? And is there anything I need to be mindful of other than the queen and other bees?

Thanks again.
b1rd

·
Registered
462 Posts
If the bees start putting comb where you don't want it, remove it, they will never fix it. If they are building silly-comb between undrawn frames of foundation, try to have them alternate drawn-undrawn-drawn-undrawn-drawn etc. Just scrape it off with your hive tool and they will hopefully rebuild. This is why I like plastic foundation!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

That's what I was hoping, and mine are wax coated plastic in this box.

b1rd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts