·
Premium Member
Italian breed, 1 colony (my first ever), 10-frame hive
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Supercedure cell (I think) that I removed by mistake:

Queen circled.

Brood Pattern after removing burr comb from install:

This is day 16 since I installed my first package. During my inspection today 5 of 10 frames were mostly filled with comb and either brood, nectar, pollen or open comb. The brood pattern looks decent I think.
This is day 16 since I installed my first package. During my inspection today 5 of 10 frames were mostly filled with comb and either brood, nectar, pollen or open comb. The brood pattern looks decent I think.

I did find one supercedure cell. I had a brain fart and thought I remembered reading to remove those if found and did in the moment. I realize that was a mistake now. By removing this will the hive swarm or collapse? After only 2 weeks is this a bad sign to see them make this?

I did find the queen this time! Exciting to find here. She looked ok, but I’m not sure how to tell if I’m right or not by looking at her.
Ill try to post a picture from my video shortly. I didn’t do a good job of holding the frames up so I can share my patterns and bees— but will try to find good shots.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
The cells removed looked more like a patch of drone cells than a queen cell. The queen is still in the colony and laying so if the bees need to make a supersedure cell they will be able to do so.

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
Your hive looks great, it is doing well.

I did find one supercedure cell....... By removing this will the hive swarm or collapse?
No.

After only 2 weeks is this a bad sign to see them make this?
No. First, I agree with AR Beekeeper that what you show in your picture is not a queen cell. But I don't know if you took the picture before or after removal so if you took it after removal, maybe there was a queen cell there.
But it is very common for newly installed packages to build a supersedure queen cell and supersede the queen. It is because the package is out of balance brood etc wise for the first few weeks and the bees blame the queen and supersede, even though there is nothing wrong with the queen. Many beekeepers remove the supersedure cell if they find one at this early stage.

I did find the queen this time! Exciting to find here. She looked ok, but I’m not sure how to tell if I’m right or not by looking at her.
You can see by looking at a queen if she looks good or not, ie, big and fat, or, old and frail looking. But the real way to tell if she is any good is by the work she is doing, ie, her brood. In your case we see a good brood pattern, and everything we would expect from a good queen, we know your queen is fine.

Also, congratulations on the good pictures and description, make it very easy to see what is happening in your hive and give you a proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
photo 1. Nice section of brand new comb, a small wonky piece with what looks like capped drone brood, right beside it is an indent. Photo 3 shows a 'missed' piece of foundation where they didn't draw comb. My guess is, that's where the queen cage was, and the indent in photo 1 was opposite that spot while the cage was in the colony. It also shows a bit of capped stores, pollen, nectar, capped brood, open brood.

I'd day all is well there, looks like a decent start for a package that's only two weeks old.

At this point in development, the package would be expected to start declining a bit in population, older bees die off, and there are no younger bees emerging to replace them yet. It'll be another 10 days before the population starts to grow, and then it'll grow quickly as the first batch of brood emerges.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, congratulations on the good pictures and description, make it very easy to see what is happening in your hive and give you a proper diagnosis.
Thank you and I appreciate the thoughts and knowledge you shared. I truly love that I have discovered bees and the world it has opened. Very exciting.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
photo 1. Nice section of brand new comb, a small wonky piece with what looks like capped drone brood, right beside it is an indent. Photo 3 shows a 'missed' piece of foundation where they didn't draw comb. My guess is, that's where the queen cage was, and the indent in photo 1 was opposite that spot while the cage was in the colony. It also shows a bit of capped stores, pollen, nectar, capped brood, open brood.

I'd day all is well there, looks like a decent start for a package that's only two weeks old.

At this point in development, the package would be expected to start declining a bit in population, older bees die off, and there are no younger bees emerging to replace them yet. It'll be another 10 days before the population starts to grow, and then it'll grow quickly as the first batch of brood emerges.
Thank you for the advice and time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts