Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I removed a small hive from a friends wall in his home
I used a homemade BEE Vaccuum 5 gallon bucket container and collected almost all the bees
I carefully removed the comb and rubber banded it into frames

It was a relatively small hive I ended up with only 4-5 frames of comb
There was a little honey a little pollen and I didnt have time to look closely for eggs
but I did see white curled up uncapped larvae

I did this in sunny Charlotte NC 65 degree weather

I hurried home (45 min drive) and dumped the mass of bees into a hive body

I only inserted the 5 frames and left 2 empty slots on each side
I plan on installing new foundation/frames in a couple days

Should I put food on this hive?
any pointers?

thanks

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,056 Posts
Sounds like you did a good job on the cut out.

I would get the frames of foundation installed now, they will start to build comb from the bottom of the inner cover.

I would feed them some 1 to 1 syrup, this seems to pick up the spirits a little from a stressed cut out.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
If you have brood you have the bees locked down, Place frames in the hive as recommended By G3, I never leave open space in a hive, It is just looking for trouble. Think of it this way. if something comes up where you cannot get back to the hive for a while and they build comb in the open space and the queen lays in that comb. you will have to destroy larva and set the colony back. If you prepare the hive as you normally would have it. and something comes up they will build normally, or at least hopefully. And feed They will draw that comb out in no time at this time of year.

·
Registered
282 Posts
When you go back in to add the frames make sure that you have a queen or eggs so they can make a queen cell. Also be award that they may still leave. Cross fingers they don't.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well its been 3 days , I did as instructed couple days ago.
Added the empty frames and put 1-1 sugar on a top feeder

whats my next step or thing I should keep an eye out for

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's been 10 days , how long until I should inspect and look for eggs and progress?
I have a slight concern I noticed a lot of dead bees on the ground kinda scattered
Looks like aftermath of robbing but I haven't seen any evidence , I have no other hives here and I had an entrance reduced on.
The hive is however still bustling with activity.
Just strange to see so many 100-150 ish

·
Registered
629 Posts
You said you used a Vac, you may of used too much Vacuum when you gathered them and killed some of the bee's. You want just enough Vacuum to pick up the Bee's but not enough to RUSH them down the TUBE and kill them. You always learn on your first CUT OUT!

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,056 Posts
Dead bees/brood from a cut out will always happen, bees get squished and brood gets cut up, just part of it.

Are they bringing in pollen, if so sounds like things are going your way. Go in and look for eggs, seeing the queen is nice but not a "have to" thing. Eggs will tell the story, at least she was there 3 days ago LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts