Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a while ago someone looking for truly remote bees. It's probably going to be hard to find more isolated bees than at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

We were on a river rafting trip through the Grand Canyon and took these pictures. Sorry for the small size, but the picture police probably will remove larger pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Nice, thanks for posting. I'd love to know where they call home in such an area. I've been there but that was many years ago and I don't remember trees or structure that was conducive to a honey bee hive. Living in the open in the canyon walls would look pretty cool.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I remember finding a web site a couple weeks ago where they had pics of honeybees building hives in rocky overhangs and small caves. I would assume there would be plenty of places like that down there.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great pics.!!
Thanks. I seem to remember the guide telling us that we were 80 miles from the nearest paved road when we were on the north rim. Also, these plants were growing from a small creek flowing into the Colorado River. Anyting blooming had a TON of bees around it. Temperature at this time was 114!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts