Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year as a beek so I have many questions.

I have one hive with two deep boxes full, full, full of honey and brood. The queen is still laying eggs. I've put a medium super on several times (with excluder, w/o excluder) but the girls refuse to have anything to do with it. It looks like the deeps are overflowing with stores for winter and I can't figure out why they ignore the super. Any opinions?

Mimi's Bees

``No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.''

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Is the super drawn? Here the bees are pretty much done drawing new frames. It also helps to have "bait" frames to get the bees up into the medium super. Since you are running deeps for your hive bodies (I am as well) you can't just swap a frame up into the medium super. You could put a medium frame into the deep though (and I do to get them to work on it). Any bur comb they make ont he bottom bar I dispose of and once there's a nice healthy wall of bees working it I move that frame back into the medium. Once you get them to start working it they'll keep at it. Like I said though, this time of year in Seattle I wouldn't bother, I'd just focus on packing the hive bodies full of feed. Maybe NC is different.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mimi,

I have one hive that they are still drawing comb in the med. that I put on about 3 weeks ago....
shoot they are about done, maybe 2 frames to go.... but the other hive that also have a Med. on it, the
Girls are not toughing it..... And like you they are still brooding very strong....but I noticed
they are still bring in yellow pollen from somewhere....
So... for our area, being flat, still hot during the day.... no frost yet... flowers still blooming.... I think our queens will not shut down till it gets cold(cold to stay that is). I figure that wan't happen till Mid,Late Nov....

Oh..... I'v been feeding my bee's 2:1 also.... so that may explane why the queen have not shut down yet also....

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Remove the super and replace it Mar. 1st and you will see them take off in it. They do not like to draw comb this late in the year.

Steve, is your hive drawing comb, or your boy's hive?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ha.....

What do you think.....!!!!!!!

I miss quoted.... Robbie's bee's are the one drawing comb in the Med.... he he he
Wayn's bee's are drawing also....but they are finishing up there last 2 deep frames....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts