Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Last weekend I made my first walk away split. It would appear that most of the bees in the split have remained in the 5frame Nuc. I place this split in the front yard, approx 200ft away from the parent hive. My problem is that I now have a lot of bees being a nuisance too close to my doorstep. Wife not happy!!
So my question is, at what point would I be safe to move the split back into to my back yard. Close to the parent hive. And is there any pitfalls, hazards that I need to be aware of?
Any advice would be Very welcome
Thanks
Jason
Atlanta

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
mate i almost never move the splits away from the main apiary. Occasionally you have to add a shake of bees a few days later if there has been significant drift but basically the two mile thing for me seems to be a myth. I made 30+ splits this year without moving them and all of them have built up just fine.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Not a myth. If you have not observed the drift, it is because you are much better at collecting nurse bees for the nucs and not filling them up with foragers. I do all my splits in the same yard also and the first year was frustrating watching a good number of the bees In the nuc leave and not come back. This can be really bad when trying to make early spring splits. Most of the bees are of forager age so they know where their hive is and with too few nurse bees, a bunch of brood gets chilled. One of those "Do not pass go, do not collect $200" moments.

·
Registered
590 Posts
the longer you wait the more bees in the nuc are going to graduate to forager status and be 'lost' when you finally do move the nuc back.
you can make splits right next to the parent hive. just be mindful that any and all FORAGER bees will return to the parent hive. nurse bees in the nuc will soon become guards and foragers and all will be fine if there is no robbing.

·
Registered
11,713 Posts
So my question is, at what point would I be safe to move the split back into to my back yard.
ASAP.

Because of what Coal Reaper said, meaning the longer you wait, the more bees will start flying and learn the current location, and return there to bother your wife after you moved the hive.

Plus that you want to get it moved before any potential virgin starts flying.

If you just cannot have any bees hanging around the area after you moved the hive back, about the only alternative is to do a night move when all the bees are in there, and move it too far away for any bees to find their way back. Then wait till the new queen is mated and move it back to whatever final position you want it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks All,
It could be that I’m just seeing a lot of foragers, possibly no residents
Time to suit up again👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts