Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,451 Posts
brilliant. i have been removing the attendants with a forceps and it is a pain, had no idea just blowing would get them out. thanks michael.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Shoot, I asked a question about this in the cell builder thread. Why do you remove the attendants?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Mike, you should add some specifics of why you are doing this in your truck with the windows rolled up.

I filmed you doing this several years ago (the video has made the rounds online). Soon after I was showing a friend how to do this, and of course I was showing off and did it outside on the porch.....by by queen. I hope the neighbors got a kick out of watching the two of us chase a queen around the yard...he had sharper eyes than me and found her on a nearby rose bush.

deknow

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
I made the mistake of doing it outside myself once. Sure enough, one got away. I left the cage and the other queens where they were and a while later she was back, sitting on the cage.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Shoot, I asked a question about this in the cell builder thread. Why do you remove the attendants?
If you are going to "bank them" they survive much better with no attendants.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I had one disappear under the truck seat 30 years ago and she is still there. Of course, queens only cost about $6 each back then. You can tell Michael has handled a queen or two.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had one disappear under the truck seat 30 years ago and she is still there. Of course, queens only cost about $6 each back then. You can tell Michael has handled a queen or two.
Frank and I have something in common. There are a couple under my front seat too. But queens are cheaper now...Free! I raise my own. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you are going to "bank them" they survive much better with no attendants.
Thank you Jim, I didn't pick up on the fact that these were headed for the bank.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Actually Mike feels they introduce better into nucs as well without attendants. I can accept that as well. Caged attendants dont have much longevity. To me the only purpose of attendants in a cage is transporting small numbers of queens where it isnt feasible to use a "battery box" with free roaming attendants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts