Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you make up a nuc, let it set for 2 days, then introduce a queen, can she be direct released or should you leave the queen cage capped a couple days before pulling out the cork?. There is no candy in the end of cage, only corked off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I tried that… Post entitled "EPIC FAIL". Did not go so well. I introduced a new queen nice and slowly last Tuesday. All is well now.

There is no candy in the end of cage, only corked off.
You can put a half mini marshmallow in the hole in place of the cork that they can eat through to release her. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Or in my case 4-5 days, I rushed it a couple weeks ago and Lost a Buckfast quick. I didnt see any eggs, it was mostly capped brood,but they must have had a few because I have since seen queen cells, we will see. If not I will combine them with a sister nuc that succeeds in raising thier own. G

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If you make up a nuc, let it set for 2 days, then introduce a queen, can she be direct released or should you leave the queen cage capped a couple days before pulling out the cork?. There is no candy in the end of cage, only corked off.
I've had good luck direct releasing queens spraing HBH on the queen and the frame I put her on. I've done this four times, lost one queen right on the spot. Before I could spray her and the frame, a bee attacked her and stung her in the neck and killed her. Now I spray both BEFORE I put her on the frame. I do the same thing if I go back to a cage to see if they've been released, if not, I'll spray HBH and open the cage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts