Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever put a swarm on an established hive ? Two of my hives have swarmed in the past two days. Both of them had already been given plenty of extra room, (2nd deeps) had frames in the hive that weren't drawn yet, but obviously I put the 2nd deep on them a little too late in the process.

No use looking backwards, but has anyone ever put the swarm in a new hive for a day or two and then done a newspaper combine with an established hive ? It seems like a way to take something semi bad and turn it into something really good, in that you'll go from having two hives that won't produce much surplus honey to one hive that will be booming and produce a huge crop and an extra queen for a nut or to replace a weaker queen. any thoughts ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Has anyone ever put a swarm on an established hive ? Two of my hives have swarmed in the past two days. Both of them had already been given plenty of extra room, (2nd deeps) had frames in the hive that weren't drawn yet, but obviously I put the 2nd deep on them a little too late in the process.

No use looking backwards, but has anyone ever put the swarm in a new hive for a day or two and then done a newspaper combine with an established hive ? It seems like a way to take something semi bad and turn it into something really good, in that you'll go from having two hives that won't produce much surplus honey to one hive that will be booming and produce a huge crop and an extra queen for a nut or to replace a weaker queen. any thoughts ?
Never tried that, curious as to if your virgin killed any remaining queens.
Or is that hive going to keep throwing swarms? I would check for any remaining QC.
Then wait and make sure your virgin mates and is a good layer.
Naaah...I would be satisfied with catching my own swarm and give them some drawn comb.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I used to do that many years ago using the newspaper method. I never had any problem but I was only allowed three hives then. It works, but at this time of year you will have an extra new hive if you don't.
Tanya

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
People do it all the time. Personally, I usually want more hives... but if you don't, I'd wait until about two weeks before the main flow and then combine. Before that you may set off another swarm by combining them and making a colony too strong before swarm season is over.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for replying, I was thinking it made sense and followed the laws of the bee kingdom but Ive never seen anyone talk or post about it.

I like having more hives as well but Im trying to get a decent honey crop this year. I would have 1000 hives if I could but equipment costs are killing me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts