Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new here and excited to dig into the forum.

I posted this in the welcome, but thought casting my net wider will get more results. Hope that’s ok.

This is our second year into beekeeping. We live out in Portland OR and have a Warre hive in the backyard and a very productive colony. We have a certified native pollinator habitat and are pesticide free of course.

Anyway we are moving across country next spring 2022 and want to take our hive with us but we need to find a new home for our colony.

If there is anyone on this Forum in the Portland OR area has any experience rehiving a colony or can give any advice we would appreciate it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I live in Olympia but am in Portland weekly, "Rehiving" is not hard, have someone bring some replacement boxes to your house and transfer the frames/Warre combs.., put the new hive where the old one was so any foragers go in the new hive, close up at night and the new owners can take it in the morning.

The only "concern" is most people run Langstroths so most people would have to make a Warre box OR treat it like a cutout...not really all that hard though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Olympia but am in Portland weekly, "Rehiving" is not hard, have someone bring some replacement boxes to your house and transfer the frames/Warre combs.., put the new hive where the old one was so any foragers go in the new hive, close up at night and the new owners can take it in the morning.

The only "concern" is most people run Langstroths so most people would have to make a Warre box OR treat it like a cutout...not really all that hard though
Wow Thanks Jason!
I reached out locally to Portland Urban Beekeepers to see if they know of anyone looking for a colony. I’ll wait and see if I get any responses. Been posting in a couple forums so far in hopes that these ladies find a good home.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you don't find anyone that wants them in Portland I could make some boxes that they will fit in and add them to my apiary, but I'm sure there is someone local that wants them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you don't find anyone that wants them in Portland I could make some boxes that they will fit in and add them to my apiary, but I'm sure there is someone local that wants them.
I will keep you posted. What time of year is best? Would it make sense for them to over winter where they currently are and move frames after they remerge in spring? Or get them moved before they settle in for winter?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Probably wait until spring ....If it were me taking them, It would either be very soon so that I could make sure they are set up for overwintering successfully and are disease free before I take them into my yard (no offense meant ) or wait until spring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably wait until spring ....If it were me taking them, It would either be very soon so that I could make sure they are set up for overwintering successfully and are disease free before I take them into my yard (no offense meant ) or wait until spring.
Sounds good. They are yours next spring if nobody local wants to come get them.

A little more info as follows. We harvested a bit of honey this year and had a super on it too which worked out wonderfully. The colony will be over wintering in 3 boxes of drawn comb including plenty of honey since we only take very little for friends and family. So I guess whomever is interested I imagine will need 3 boxes to get it all.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Sorry to hear you go. I am over in Boring and will help you anyway you need. I run all standard langs with a bunch of gear been given to me.
I find it hard to believe the guys over at PUB were not standing in line if you sent them a note.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to hear you go. I am over in Boring and will help you anyway you need. I run all standard langs with a bunch of gear been given to me.
I find it hard to believe the guys over at PUB were not standing in line if you sent them a note.
Wow thanks for reaching out.
I will keep you posted.

I imagine springtime once they reemerge would be a good time? If you are able to help save these hard working bees and give them a great home, that would be wonderful. Also, do you have experience rehiving a colony? We have a Warre and and I imagine you will need to bring boxes to fit our top bars into?

edit* I am also surprised that PUB hasn’t reached out. Maybe I sent my email to the wrong recipient? I’ll reach out to them again.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have standard Lang equipment and I move them all the time. I usually start queens in 2 frame divisions, 4 to a box. When I have a mated queen I push them up to a deep divided in the middle and two nuc’s. When they fill that out I move the nuc’s off the top to another location and add a second tier. When they get larger they get pulled out to two single deeps facing opposite directions. It does not bother them. As long as the new boxes go where the old ones were. You set them up to move so they are all strapped together and ready to close down a piece of screen and staple it in place at night or in a cold evening.

Sounds like you did the hard part of getting them to draw out the comb. I would recommend that you tell whoever is taking them that they get a nuc -queen, bees and a few frames). Take your drawn frames with you. Yes you will sacrifice some brood but it is more valuable than the bees are in your situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts