Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I put in a bunch of small cell foundation from my spring cleaning day and today i'd like to add more. The question I have is you feed 2 new frames into the center and remove 2 from the outside of the box, I'm cool there. If the outside frames have honey in them what can I do with those can i leave them outside say 100' from the hives and let the bees take the honey back or would that be a bad thing and start robbing between hives? Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,161 Posts
Not sure what "two in the center" is. I would never put two empty frames together in the center of a brood nest. I wouldn't but two empty frames IN a brood nest unless it's a very strong hive and the bees can quickly fill that gap with festooning bees.

I might put two brood, an empty, two brood an empty and two brood in a brood nest.

If you've got a clean hive, I'd harvest the honey. But if you like you can feed it any of several ways. If you have all the same sized frames you just move them up into the next box.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have also recently pulled a couple of frames out to make room for starter strips. Those frames were full of honey and one was quite full of pollen.

Will the bees move all that pollen down into the hive, too, if I place the frame in an empty box above the inner cover?

I sure hate taking all that pollen away from them.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,161 Posts
>Will the bees move all that pollen down into the hive, too, if I place the frame in an empty box above the inner cover?

They hardly every move pollen. I'd put it in a plastic bag in the freezer and feed it back next January or February. That or give it back to them, or use it for a split or a cell builder when rearing queens.

>I sure hate taking all that pollen away from them.

Then don't.
Just move it up a box or down a box or over a frame.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks for the answers.

Yes Michael I misunderstood and thanks for clearing that up before i screwed up. I was going to put them in the center and remove a frame from either side of the box. Then when those got pulled out put 2 more in and again remove a frame from either side. When i was reading about replacing frames i thought it was feed from center and push the outside frames out. rinse and repeat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts