Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to install 5.4mm unregressed bees into a Deep with foundationless frames in the Spring the bees will build 5.1mm comb. I'd like to complete the regression by bottom supering with another foundationless Deep. My question is what is the cutoff date during the season when bottom supering would result in undesirable cell size construction\broodnest structure? I could of sworn I'd read somewhere that bees only focus on broodnest structure\ building small comb in the spring.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
That will depend on the timing of the main flow where you are. Once the bees have shifted from buildup to the main flow, they are no longer trying to build up the brood nest, they are trying to stock up stores. Once they are stocking up stores, they don't build as small of cells.

Here, that main flow is USUALLY about the first or second week of June.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Michael! I have another question. If I were to instead feed foundationless frames into the center of a 5.1mm natural cell bees broodnest, am I confined to this small time frame in the spring for bees to draw small cell or are the bees tricked into building small cell any time during the season since they are rebuilding comb in the center of the broodnest? Also, how early in the season can I start feeding foundationless frames into the center of the broodnest so there's minimal brood chill damage?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>So would that go with the idea that they build more drone comb in the summer?

Not that so much as that during a flow they are just trying to put away stores. During the buildup they are trying to build a brood nest.

>If I were to instead feed foundationless frames into the center of a 5.1mm natural cell bees broodnest, am I confined to this small time frame in the spring for bees to draw small cell or are the bees tricked into building small cell any time during the season since they are rebuilding comb in the center of the broodnest?

They will be more likely to build it as brood comb in the middle of the brood nest. But in a heavy flow it's hard to predict. They may just draw something in between and fill it with honey or they may expand the brood nest. PROBABLY they will draw brood comb, in which case it will be smaller cells.

> Also, how early in the season can I start feeding foundationless frames into the center of the broodnest so there's minimal brood chill damage?

That depends on the weather and the bees. My rule of thumb is if you can take a frame out of the middle of the brood nest (or spread it enough to put a frame in) and they quickly fill the gap with festooning bees, you have enough bees to draw the new comb without endangering the brood.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Bottom Supering" is adding a empty super between the brood nest and partially filled supers. Supposedly bottom supering increases honey production but is more work for the beekeeper.

Sorry I referred to bottom supering as adding a empty super below the broodnest. Search "Warre Hive". The Warre Hive is managed by adding empty supers under the broodnest exclusively.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts