Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about picking one up. there seem to be several different options ranging from very inexpensive manual to extreamly expensive digital.
what do you think? what do you use? are the $20 ebay ones a complete waste of money?
is there a good midline model?
Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dutch can you give another link this one says: This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available.
•Please check that you've entered the correct item number
•Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

Maybe one of the guys bought it and it went away.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
On Ebay search for RHF-30ATC. It is about $100 and accuracy is .2% instead of 1%.
Also had good service from the vendor.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I see the one dutch bee mentioned is a brix refractometer. I've read they aren't very accurate for honey moisture content.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am taking mine to the office and will let our Scientist compare mine to the one they have and see how it compares. I asked them today and they said I could drop it off.

I work at one of the largest liquid chemical manufactures in the world so I figure their machine that cost more than most people make a year may be considered accurate.

Let you know ASAP.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
"has anyone compared one of the cheap ones against an expensive (or known accurate) one?"

That is why one should get the calibration fluid for their specific instrument. The calibration is adjustable and may vary over time so you need to check it occasionally.

·
Registered
24 Posts
With our current economic situation may I humbly suggest, if living in USA, that we all buy items made here in the USA if possible, even if they do cost more.
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I suggest that we buy the best quality equipment we can afford, no matter where it's made. I'm on my last GM (POS) truck and most all my quality tools come from overseas. My underwear is an alien immigrant and I can't find any that's not. My last 3 cars have been Japanese and the minimum mileage I've gotten is 265,000. And mine do stop when you apply the brake pedal instead of the accelerator. My computer is built in the USA because I built it, but most of the parts were imported. Who ever heard of a camera made in the USA? I'll buy USA if available, and of equal or better quality than imports, but after all is said and done, I'm into quality.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ok have the results of comparing my Brix/ ATC refractometer with the instrument at the office. The scientist analysis was that the water % was 15.820%.

My brix was 16% or a little over 16% depending on the angle you held it at. He said that obviously having a computer/ software based digital readout is easier than using one that needs to be focused is easier to read.

They calibrate much like the Brix does first with distilled water to null or %78.8 and then use the calibration oil and fine adjust at %78.8. I will tell you that getting a sharp line with the distilled water is harder than the calibration oil. The oil is very clear. Honey is very sharp and easy to read. Must have something to do with the density of the fluid.

Anyway, I am very confident that my e-bay purchased meter is accurate. And I left him the jar of honey :) he said stop by anytime! Nice!

looks like mine is within the .5% accuracy they claim, so I guess I will just make sure I am under the margin of error and I will be good!

Opinion?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi DutchBee,
Thanks for getting back to us with the info.
Most of what I've read saying not to use brix refractometers was written by people who sell honey meters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts